Wednesday 5 September 2012

My suitcase isn’t big enough!


My suitcase isn’t big enough!
Yea I know, I thought the same thing, when I was moving out here for my first season. So I OVERPACKED, stuffed my suitcase and my all-in-one ski bag to bursting levels.

Packing

Packing for a full season or year, yes it’s difficult, especially with the stupid baggage and weight restrictions on airlines these days! But use it, think this is my new best friend, because if you are bringing all the stuff that you really want to, you are going to smack yourself after a month, when you get here. Because who really needs all the stuff that they have in their closet? I didn’t!

I brought a stuffed suitcase, just under the weight limit of 20kg… which was fine… BUT, I just got myself a pair of skies, new boots and all that crap, because I really wanted to be ready for this season. And of course I was not just going to carry around a pair of skies and a pair of boots in the airport, No, I bought a BIG all-in-one skibag too, where my poles, boots, helmet, and avalanche gear could fit. Then I stuffed that bag as well with 30kg of gear. Mainly just ski gear, all brand new or from my season in France. 2 jackets, 2 pairs of skiing pants, 10 pairs of skiunderwear and middlelayers of different thickness, and yea, I don’t even know what I couldn’t find a good reason to bring, because it’s going to be sooooo cold in Canada. (I needed an excuse to bring all the stuff I thought I would need)
But to be honest, looking back, you only really need one set of good ski wear, if you got an outdoor job maybe bring an extra set of warm underwear. But you are coming to Banff, not going to the end of the world, where you’re out of reach from any kind of clothing store.
So pack your suitcase like you’re going on a 1-week skiing holiday in France rather than paying for excess luggage.

Banff is a casual environment, you won’t need much, and washing machines are in all of the houses so try and repack and sort your luggage before you go.
Though! Remember to make room for a towel, pillow and fitted sheet. All the chalets are all fully furnished and have wireless internet, So, what more do you really need then?

Gear

If you have your own gear, it is worthwhile bringing! BUT, if not, wait until you’re in Banff to shop. There are great deals on ex-rentals, which are perfect to learn and use(or wreck) at the beginning of the season. And throughout the season you will improve so much, that you will probably buy whatever new gear you will fancy anyways. I did! Mmm, Big Fat POWDER skiis.
There are also a few gear swaps at the beginning of the season, which is a great source for inexpensive skiis and snowboards. And Banff has some pretty sick shops, and lots of variety for warm layers that you will use all season, and we definitely have better bootfitters and gear knowledge than most English, Danish or other non-skiarea-local shops has.

SO, what I’m trying to say is; pack light, wait to buy you gear until you’ve been out here for a while and you know, what exactly you want.  

No comments:

Post a Comment